What is the best working DE in RebornOS

Since some desktop environments are the reason for little hiccups,and I dont wanna give up on Reborn. My question is, if there is one which is most reliable to just work with it. Leaving looks aside. Thx

Hi @Xox :slightly_smiling_face:,

The best working DEs in Arch Linux (and hence RebornOS) in the decreasing order of subjective perception are:

1. Gnome and KDE Plasma (tie maybe)
  2. XFCE
  3. Cinnamon
3 Likes

I am confident in that Budgie is also very good and virtually trouble free.

2 Likes

Could you forgo using a DE and reduce several dependencies, using a window manager instead? Something like openbox, i3, or even icewm as initial window managers.

I don’t recommend bare Window Managers unless the user knows their way around or is willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning. Some users prefer that, but it is not for everyone.

Even the latest Gnome (which is among the heavier desktop environments) was reasonably snappy (with animations and advanced search disabled) on 2008 model computer (like from 15 years ago) with 2 cores and 4 GB RAM.

This may not answer your original question, but I suggest you choose a DE that makes sense for how you work and use your computer (that you’re comfortable with), then when you encounter any “hiccups”, report them to the Reborn/upstream development team(s) to get them fixed. This way, you get a DE that works the way you think, and, over time, that works as well as possible too.

My2Cents,

Ernie

5 Likes

Cinnamon has always worked well for me…however I prefer the look of KDE

2 Likes

KDE Plasma 6. I’m not hating on any other DE. They all have their pros and cons. I used Cinnamon & Xfce for a while, but for me nothing beats the flexibility of Plasma.

3 Likes

I agree with whichever one that may appeal the most with adding a new DE and research ins and outs of the features. The set up I have has Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE and XFCE since those were favorites from me using Fedora a long time. All run great, but I do prefer Cinnamon. It has always struck me as more intuitive and simpler to customize how I want. So much of my experience was more in learning where to customize or change to my liking. One of the things I have noticed with Linux users of any system or distro is we do like to experiment with changes.

I’m very new to RebornOS but for what it’s worth, I can attest to KDE and Deepin running smooth as silk for me on current hardware with NVIDIA Drivers.

Cheers!

in another post i said i didn’t care for Deepin, that was the full OS

1 Like