How come it takes more than a minute to shutdown or reboot the system?

On RebornOS, EndeavourOS and even Manjaro, when I install the OS (I installed xfce) on VirtualBox (using UEFI), then for some reason when I booted into the OS, if I do a reboot or shutdown, it takes more than a minute to shutdown.

In this screenshot you can see that there is this process that is taking more than a minute before everything shutsdown:

I am not having this issue on Debian based so not too sure why this is happening?

Update: Just verified this also happens on MATE as well so its not xfce related issue.

Just verified this seems to be an issue only on virtualbox, not on actual hardware, so this seems most likely an issue to do with this drivers. Not too sure why its not a problem on Debian based thought!

The output of journalctl would be helpful for the time duration of the shutdown.

journalctl -rb -1

This is also an issue on bare metal, it does it to me. interestingly not all of the time.
Regardless of the issue, it is best to change the wait time from 1:30 to something more reasonable, like 10 seconds.

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

Look for this entry “DefaultTimeoutStopSec=”, if it is not there, just add it to the bottom like this:

DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

Note: 10s means 10 seconds.

3 Likes