Can’t Login as Normal User via WM

Hi ! I am planning on trying BredOS on a Rock 5A and decided to play with RebornOS on a really old (2008) MacBook.

I neeed to change the installer’s keyboard to Apple MacBook (ANSI) for the mapping to work.

I installed LXDE and cannot login with the GUI login screen as my normal user. I can login as root with the GUI. I can login with either from the console.

I suspect the keyboard is improperly set as Generic 105 for X11. How do I check / fix the keyboard in Reborn / Arch?

I think I had the same / similar problem with an Ubuntu installation and had to run dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-something rather to fix it . Is there a similar command in Arch / Reborn ?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this helps: Linux console/Keyboard configuration - ArchWiki

@Pandaa Is there a Forum for BredOS?

Thanks ! I will reinstall and play with that command. There is a BredOS discord server IIRC but since I wasn’t using BredOS yet I started here. Appreciate the pointer !

The keymap isn’t the problem. :-(. When I manually enter the username the installer created all of the keys are mapped properly which means the password is right. I enter the password and the screen goes black and return to login without any error. I can log in via the GUI as root but not the normal user created by the installer. Installation was all defaults except adding Broadcom-wl which is needed for the wireless chipset in this ancient Mac. :slight_smile:

I see nothing obvious in the normal user directory log wise.

Xorg.log has nothing happening during the black screen / return to login event.

Recommendations where to look?

Spun up a VM on a different machine. I have the exact same problem … cannot login as regular user using LXDE … will try a different Desktop system.

Hi @unbounded6096 ,

We do not have anyone active here who can help with BredOS or ARM issues. You’ll get a much better response from their Discord server.

I am having issues with RebornOS … I was trying RebornOS before I got the Arm HW …

Oh. The RebornOS installer has a screen for setting the keyboard layout. You can also test your keys there. Did you try that?

Also for Apple Keyboard you can check this out: Apple Keyboard - ArchWiki

Thanks but I have determined it is not a keyboard issue as the root password contains the same sequence as the normal user password right now and it works just fine. The issue is that the normal user can login via the console but now via the WM. Root can login with either.

Both on the actual Mac HW and via a VirtualBox VM in another machine.

UPDATE: Budgie is OK via VM but LXDE is not.

Could you tell me which ISO you installed from? Was it from February 16? Also, which LXDE packages do you have?

pacman -Q | grep lxde

Sure! The ISO is in fact the Feb 16 one and the LXDE packages are

lxde-common 0.99.2.3
lxde-icon-theme 0.5.1-5

Thanks. Can you also

1. Share the list of sessions that you can see in the display manager (perhaps a button on the login screen that you have to click to be presented with a menu).
  2. Share the output of inxi -G on a terminal/console

Login Screen Desktop options …

LXDE
KDE/Openbox
Openbox

Here is the output from the VM Console of my normal user.

On my VM, if I changed “Default” to LXDE … it worked. Whatever that means! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to help diagnose the problem so that it can be fixed, obtain the list of sessions using

ls /usr/share/xsessions/*

and then obtain the contents of the Default and LXDE sessions (and upload them to Termbin), like

cat /usr/share/xsessions/default.desktop | nc termbin.com 9999

cat /usr/share/xsessions/lxde.desktop | nc termbin.com 9999

If you share the output URLs here, I can check if there is something that needs to be fixed.

Thanks.

Happy to!

ls -la /usr/share/xsessions/*

[root@VM-RebornOS ~]# ls -la /usr/share/xsessions/*
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1507 Jul 7 2020 /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 198 Mar 18 2023 /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 205 Mar 18 2023 /usr/share/xsessions/openbox-kde.desktop

LXDE.desktop —> https://termbin.com/7cd7
openbox.desktop —> https://termbin.com/q5cy

Other link …

openbox-kde.desktop —> https://termbin.com/0rtm

Which of these sessions worked for you? What was the default?

looks like …

Default … does not work
LXDE … works
Openbox … works
KDE/Openbox … does not work

I am not sure what the “Default” is pointing to but my guess based on the above is it is pointing to KDE/Openbox.

FWIW I selected LXDE at install … I did not select anything to do with KDE.