Some bugs in 2021.06.09 installation

I downloaded it today.
I installed it on bare metal - Lenovo Legion 5 - 16 GB - nVidia - Win10 / Arch Gnome replacing Arch Gnome with RebornOS i3
I went for the non-nVidia version, as the nVidia version did manage to launch a GUI.
I selected Nederlands (Dutch) as the primary language in the Reborn installer. Arriving on the keyboard page it remained blank, which meant no possibility to select my keyboard.
Going back to the beginning and selecting English as language, the keyboard page displayed correctly.

The rest of the installation went without a problem with Dutch as selected language.

Upon reboot Grub had failed to detect the Windows OS, and the possibility to enter the UEFI/BIOS was missing. Grub only showed the 2 entries for Reborn.

Once logged in, it took me a while to find out that the mod-key for this version of i3 was bound with the Alt-key and not the Super key.
In the installer when selecting i3, there is a screenshot of a cheat sheet for the i3 keybindings, but it is missing on the installed version (or I have not been able to find it yet).

No big problems, but a new Reborn User might struggle.

Links to two extra files:

cnchi.log
cnchi-alpm.log

Edit 1: I ran grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg and the Windows partition was detected

The relevant part from the log:

2021-06-10 18:07:47 [DEBUG  ] Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/Vimix/theme.txt
Found Intel Microcode image
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initramfs image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
Found fallback initramfs image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
grub-probe: fout: Kan geen GRUB-schijf vinden voor /xxx/xxx.  Controleer uw 'device.map'..
done  (run_cmd.py:149)
2021-06-10 18:07:47 [INFO   ] GRUB(2) UEFI install completed successfully  (grub2.py:419)

@eijie Thanks for reporting the issue. I see that Windows was not detected. I have a feeling that the installer might not have mounted everything before installing os-prober. I am not sure yet :thinking:. @Rafael might have a better idea

Good day!

I have not been a Windows user for a long time. But I would use the following to see if it is possible to detect the Windows installation:

sudo os-prober
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I hope you have a good day.

The error is at a higher level as Arch Linux itself has problems with Grub not detecting Windows. Apparantly os-prober DOES work, but a missing setting in /etc/default/grub prevents os-prober to work.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2Il-jVKqA

The solution is to modify /etc/default/grub and adding :

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

at the end of the file. Then rerun sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg and now the Windows system will be detectd.

2 Likes

Yes, as far as I know, Arch has this new variant since grub 2.06. Every time the command
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
is executed, arch warns that os-prober is not being executed, but only with the manual adjustment, presumably also for security reasons.