Onboard keyboard

Question: How to get the Onboard keyboard in RebornOS w/ Cinnamon desktop onto the login screen when booting up? Or any onscreen keyboard? I’ve been unable to find a way in any settings to implement this needed function. Thanks in advance if someone could point me in the right direction…

Hello,
Can you tell me what DM do you use? DM refers to display manager. (Eg: gdm, sddm)

Apologies, I’ve no idea what that is. Not very Linux technical. How can I determine that to let you know? Thx…

My guess is that Cinnamon installs with the LightDM display manager. On RebornOS the default greeter for LightDM is the lightdm-webkit-2-greeter, which probably doesn’t support an on-screen keyboard.
However, the lightdm-gtk-greeter does as far as i know.

EDIT: lightdm-gtk-greeter seems to be the default now

1 Like

If lightdm is the one currently active, Install lightdm-gtk-greeter and edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf replace #keyboard= with keyboard=onboard.
Edit: you can replace onboard with keyboard of your choice.

First make sure you’re actually using the LightDM display manager, you can check that with

systemctl status lightdm.service

If that outputs “active (running)” among other things you’re using LightDM.

I do have the Onboard keyboard available, but only after getting past the login screen. My laptop is a fold back the manual keyboard behind the screen. In order to login, I have to disconnect several usb & power cables, fold the manual keyboard back into place, login, then reset everything back up again. I installed Reborn w/ Cinnamon a few days ago (love it too). I had Cinnamon Mint 20 installed prior to RebornOS. Cinnamon Mint did have the Onboard keyboard option available on the login screen though. And I think maybe LightDM was what was used. I’m not certain about here on my Reborn install.

lightdm-gtk-greeter is the greeter that is installed by default when using LightDM on RebornOS.

Arch Linux allows you to install an on-screen keyboard, but it can be used once the desktop, in this case Cinnamon, is already running. Installs with:

sudo pacman -S onboard

2 Likes

But not available on the login screen itself? Which is where I need it without having to disconnect stuff to get logged in…

This might help:

As I mentioned before. edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf replace #keyboard= with keyboard=onboard.

@WV1SWL I recommend using micro to edit the configuration file:

sudo micro /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Thx, I’ll give this a look.

Unfortunately, the above suggestions did not work. What I got back in the terminal was a list of warnings and errors instead that I’m not terminal experienced to understand. Appreciate the suggestion in any case. Is there somewhere that I can request the implementation of a virtual keyboard from the login screen to be added in a future update perhaps?

Is there somewhere that I can request the implementation of a virtual keyboard from the login screen to be added in a future update perhaps?

Could you post the warnings and errors here? If it is easier for you, you could also take this up on the Discord group: Discord

Thank you. I made the request. I didn’t copy the list of errors and warnings that showed up in the terminal though. I realize now I should have. Maybe I’ll get them duplicated again tomorrow and post them here. Kind of burnt out right now, lol. Apologies.

Did you install micro?
You can do that with sudo pamac install micro or through the Pamac Manager (“Add/Remove Software”)

Yep. Micro is installed. Tried once again. Same things as earlier follows:

[e@WV1SWL ~]$ sudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
[sudo] password for e:

(gedit:10257): dconf-WARNING **: 18:10:29.585: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=21ff52f05e4f4e90a01d9b5bd639e908 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(gedit:10257): dconf-WARNING **: 18:10:29.600: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=21ff52f05e4f4e90a01d9b5bd639e908 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(gedit:10257): dconf-WARNING **: 18:10:30.543: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=21ff52f05e4f4e90a01d9b5bd639e908 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(gedit:10257): dconf-WARNING **: 18:10:30.543: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=21ff52f05e4f4e90a01d9b5bd639e908 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.567: Error loading plugin: libnuspell.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.599: Error loading plugin: libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.610: Error loading plugin: libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.611: Error loading plugin: libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.688: Error loading plugin: libnuspell.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.688: Error loading plugin: libhspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.688: Error loading plugin: libaspell.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gedit:10257): WARNING **: 18:10:30.689: Error loading plugin: libvoikko.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I haven’t the vaguest clue what any of that means…

No idea why gedit doesn’t open. But you can use micro instead: sudo micro /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf