Won't boot into GUI

Live USB booted fine and seemed to install fine (was going for Budgie desktop), but now booting hangs up before getting to GUI. I’m dual booting with windows on an Asus laptop – ROG zephyrus g14 ga410iv. It has a Ryzen 7 cpu with igpu and an Nvidia 2060. I can alt-ctrl-F3 into the terminal and login but not sure what to do from there lol.

install.log is here https://termbin.com/ccii2

Also when I reboot out of that terminal the reboot hangs on "a stop job is running for Light Display Manager – not sure if that is related or not.

Hey @Chilliarch

Sorry for the delay. I am checking the logs now.

@Chilliarch

Can you reach a text based console and login with Ctrl Alt F3? After that you can login to the internet with nmtui.

Then you can run the following commands to get diagnostic information and upload it to a paste site. You can share the URLs here:

inxi -G | nc termbin.com 9999

cat /var/log/lightdm/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

cat systemctl status lightdm| nc termbin.com 9999

inxi -G just hangs and won’t output anything. Just running inxi with no modifier works okay but doesn’t get the graphics.

it says the /var/log/lightdm/Xorg.0.log doesn’t exist

systemctl status lightdm gives

lightdm service - Light Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/us/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service: enabled: preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2023-08-03 19:44:12 CDT: 13min ago
Docs: man: lightdm(1)
Main PID: 562 (lightdm)
Tasks: 5 (limit: 18430)
Memory: 4.0M
CPU: 14ms
Group: /system.slice/lightdm.service
562 /usr/bin/lightdm
570 /usr/lib/Xorg.wrap :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

Sorry for just typing it here but the network where I’m at has crazy firewall settings that doesn’t allow the termbin command to work.

@Chilliarch

That is strange. Did the installation complete successfully?

Are you able to run a system upgrade ?

sudo pacman -Syyu

The installer in the live system said it completed successfully. The sudo pacman -Syyu runs okay with the exception of two errors retrieving ‘Reborn-OS.db’ from osdn.ip-connect.vn.ua and sourceforge.net

@Chilliarch

Alright. You have outdated mirrors (the OSDN ones are faulty), but they may themselves cause a problem in refreshing mirrors. Try this

yay -S aur/rate-mirrors # The default options are fine. You can press Enter for everything. 

sudo refresh-mirrors

sudo pacman -Syyuv

inxi -G

yeah it’s erroring out of that first command.

I’ll have to try again tomorrow at a location with less restricted network.

Should I try re-installing completely with a better network connection? Could that be part of it? Thanks very much for your time by the way.

@Chilliarch

There is another way: Cannot update system after I deleted a key with pacman-key - #3 by shivanandvp