GDM do not start after a clean install of Reborn GNOME

After a clean install of REBORN GNOME i restart the system but i get a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner.
I believe that GDM is the problem because i installed GNOME alongside of DEEPIN DE, retained the DEEPIN DM and works fine.
Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance.

Hello.

We have always asked users to give us as much information as possible to see if any of us can help them with their problems.

In this case, it only indicates what you install and it doesn’t work, but it doesn’t tell us anything about your computer’s configuration: video card, if it’s a notebook, your model …

With information like the one you offer us, we cannot know why you have this problem.

It is for this reason that we ask if you can offer us a little more information, and then one of us may be able to help you.

I take the opportunity to greet you.

To take good care of yourself in these difficult days that we have had to live.

Hi @George.LG,

In addition to what @Rafael asked, could you also check if you are able to access the tty (Ctr + Alt + F2)? (For laptops, you may need the Fn key too)

If you can indeed access and login, please run systemctl status gdm.service and post the output here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @Rafael @ron @shivanandvp sorry for not posting the details of my system
@shivanandvp it does not respond to anything, i have a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner, i cannot type anything it does nothing, i have installed it with and without proprietary drivers, with and without LTS kernel,i always get the same result. I have installed REBORN CINNAMON - KDE - DEEPIN with no problem, GNOME is the one i have problem with. I will try to install it on my laptop whenever i have some spare time to find out if it is going to work. Thank you for your response and for your time. The REBORN team has done great job, thank you for that systeminfo

If you have tried both Ctrl + Alt + F2 and Ctrl + Alt + Fn + F2 after you wait for a long time at the dark screen, and it did not show up a login prompt at the top, then the troubleshooting must be done through a live ISO, chrooting into the installed system, and checking for the logs. This process is quite cumbersome if you have not done it before. If you do not have experience doing the above, then it is easier for someone to guide you through it if you can ask on our Discord Server instead. Replies there can be faster as it is a messaging platform.

1 Like

The solution that can be tried is to change the screen manager. GNOME on RebornOS installs two: the normal gdm screen manager, and lightdm. Why is this done? In order to have another way to access when, for example, there is a problem with gdm.

To access lightdm, you must also be able to access the system. So when you are on the black screen, try the Ctrl + Alt + F3 key combination (for example), and wait to see if you can access a text screen where you are prompted for a login. If you succeed, log in with your username and password. Then type the following:

sudo systemctl disable gdm
sudo systemctl enable lightdm
reboot

The system will reboot, and you will be presented with the lightdm screen manager to access GNOME.

This procedure can be read on our Wiki, by accessing the following link:

I hope you can fix it, and apologize for the response times. Not everyone here has the same time zones.

I hope you are well, and I send you my regards!

Unfortunately the system does not respond to anything, i had to give up and install the Cinnamon DE, now everything works fine.The next step will be to install REBORN GNOME on another system to check if it is going to work there or not. Thank you all for your responses