Lightdm cannot be installed after base install & xfce4

After the successful base install (RebornOS installer) and xfce4 I wanted to activate lightdm.

sudo pacman -S lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter xorg-server

Unfortunately, this process is canceled with the error: lightdm is already in the file system → /etc/lightdm → the process cannot be completed.

It would be great if you could fix that bug in the installer so that this doesn’t happen again in the future. :wink:

With Gnome and gdm, however, it works without any problems.

Moin,
try
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
sudo systemctl start lightdm.service
and reboot
maybe you have to disable gdm
sudo systemctl disable gdm
Greets

Unfortunately, I don’t get that far. When the package is about to be installed, the error message appears. Activating the service via systemctl does not work because the package (lightdm) cannot be installed and the mentioned error message appears.

Gnome and gdm was just an example that it worked with it, but didn’t have it installed.

If you installed GNOME from the RebornOS installer, lightDM is already installed on your system, so there is no need to do it again. You just have to deactivate gdm and activate lightDM.

In the case of changing gdm to lightdm if we use GNOME:

You have to disable gdm, and enable lightdm. To do this, from the terminal:

sudo systemctl disable gdm
sudo systemctl enable lightdm

If you want to disable lightdm, and re-enable gdm to use GNOME as it comes by default, then from the terminal:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm
sudo systemctl enable gdm
2 Likes

Let’s see if I understand: you installed the RebornOS base (without any desktop), and then you installed XFCE: from the terminal?

I do not understand that part. If you installed XFCE from the terminal, you could try the following:

sudo rm /etc/lightdm

How did you install XFCE? So I can get an idea.

3 Likes

Hola @Rafael

Please excuse my late feedback, the last week took up almost all of my time, but had nothing to do with computers.

Yes, that’s exactly how I did it. Base install via Reborn-OS graphical installer and then everything via the command line →

sudo pacman -S xfce4 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter firefox firefox-i18n-de xorg-server

You showed me the solution: with your command and thus deleting the entries, it works now. Thank you, I’m very happy about that. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes