- systemd-boot -

hallo,

bin Paul aus Deutschland und heute bei reborn gelandet.
Erfahrung mit linux-Systemen habe ich nur wenig, hauptsächlich mit debian und vanilla-arch.

Sogleich bei der Installation fiel mir auf, daß im calamares keine Möglichkeit vorhanden ist,
einen bootloader auszuwählen - das ist schade, denn ich würde gern den systemd-boot versuchen.
im RebornOS Wiki habe ich eine kleine Anleitung gefunden, die leider bei mir nicht funktioniert hat.
Vielleicht habe ich etwas falsch gemacht oder nicht richtig verstanden ?
Gibt es irgendwo eine detaillierte step-by-step Anleitung, um von grub auf systemd-boot umzusteigen ?

hello - english is not my native language but I’ll try.
I’m very new to reborn - since today only, and there is a question immediately

i’d like to use systemd-boot instead of grub.
on the calamares installer I didn’t find an option to choose which bootloader is to install…
a look into the RebornOS-Wiki showed some instruction for changing from grub to systemd-boot.
unfortunately I had no succes – may be I did some wrong or I didn’t understand ??
the esp was mounted to /boot/efi and then did bootctl install - that’s all…
wouldn’t it be necessary to write an entry into the loaders ?
is there anywhere an instruction “step-by-step” available ?

many thanks in advance

Hallo @paul

Sie können systemd-boot mithilfe der Anweisungen aus dem Arch-Wiki installieren: Systemd-boot – wiki.archlinux.de

doesn’t work

in reborn there is /boot/efi/loader - in arch /boot/loader
doesn’t suit

@paul

Deutsch

Ah. Ich verstehe es jetzt. Dies kann geändert werden. Sie können die Datei /etc/fstab bearbeiten, um Ihr Gerät unter /boot statt unter /boot/efi zu mounten, und Sie können auch das Boot-Verzeichnis leeren und systemd-boot installieren. Ich schlage jedoch vor, auf unseren Discord-Server zu kommen, damit wir für Live-Hilfe zur Verfügung stehen können. Wenn Sie Discord nicht nutzen möchten, kann ich Ihnen auch über Telegram helfen. Das Forum eignet sich normalerweise nicht so gut für eine schnelle Kommunikation, wenn das System nicht startet, wenn etwas durcheinander ist.

English

Ah. I get it now. This can be changed. You can edit the /etc/fstab file to mount your device at /boot instead of /boot/efi, and you can also empty the boot directory and install systemd-boot. However, I suggest coming on our Discord server so that we can be available for live help. If you don’t want to use Discord, I can help you on Telegram too. The forum usually is not as suitable for quick communication in cases where the system will not boot if something is messed up.

@shivanandvp – sprichst du deutsch ?

@paul Ich benutze Google Übersetzer :sweat_smile:

you’re american I think
no problem - i try that language, may be sometimes it is not very good

@paul

English

If you come to our Discord server or contact me on Telegram, I can offer assistance with the procedure. Arch Wiki offers two ways to install Grub and one of the ways is to mount the EFI partition on /boot/efi, which we use because it is good for handling space in storage. But the partition can be repurposed to do something else, like I suggested, enabling you to install systemd-boot.

Deutsch

Wenn Sie auf unseren Discord-Server kommen oder mich per Telegram kontaktieren, kann ich Ihnen bei der Vorgehensweise behilflich sein. Arch Wiki bietet zwei Möglichkeiten, Grub zu installieren. Eine Möglichkeit besteht darin, die EFI-Partition unter /boot/efi zu mounten, was wir verwenden, weil es sich gut für die Verwaltung des Speicherplatzes eignet. Aber die Partition kann für etwas anderes verwendet werden, wie ich vorgeschlagen habe, sodass Sie systemd-boot installieren können.

i will try your advice - thank you

edit: don’t like virtual translations… :innocent:

got it
did create entries and loaderconfig as advised in arch wiki

now rebornOS is broken :unamused:

everything seems ok, but the update broke the system.
upgrade to kernel 6.6.9 brought the end - ERROR= no efi partition found
the trial to mount esp to /boot/efi manually failed - "not possible cause of forbidden “vfat”

I guess, the loader/entries were not installed in right mode - so the new kernel did kill …

no problem - tomorrow I’ll start a next try

I guess the next step to fix this would be to mount your partitions and enter chroot from a live ISO to reconfigure your bootloader.

I tried that, but didn’t work.
chrooted in, the system denied to recognize the esp.
I found no way to get into that partition…
at last I deleted whole the system but I’ll install rebornOS once again
– I did use it only for a few days - think I like it and it’s worth to learn more about :thinking: :smile:

It should be possible to re-format the ESP partition and reinstall the bootloader. We are planning to add bootloader choice but it requires quite a few changes from our side. We’ll work towards it.

yes I know to recreate an esp
– but in my case it was a dual-boot
so if reformating the partition the second OS would be damaged.
maybe it’s possible to you, to expand the hint to systemd-boot in your welcome-app ?

RebornOS Wiki - Customization - Bootloader - Systemd-boot -Installation

by adding a little tutorial how to create the …/loader/entries

in debian and endeavour the entries are build by default when systemd-boot becomes installed.
also a directory of machine-id including the current kernel

did a new install of rebornOS and converted it to systemd-boot.
I choose a way of my own, where I used some usage hints from eos-discovery and arch-wiki .
it works and I’ll see wether it survives the next systemupdate (pacman -Syu) :rofl: :innocent:

Let us hope it is fine :slight_smile:

I’ll report if it works stable.
If anybody would be interested in the way I worked it out - feel free to ask.
I guess I 've to learn a lot more :neutral_face:

It is fine to post your methodology here :slight_smile:. It will also help you if you want to replicate this in the future.

1 Like

yeah I’ll do that
but let’s wait to the result of next systemupdate. :interrobang:
I want to be sure it runs stable :thinking: :beetle: