I coded a browser forwarder app, ... if someone finds it interesting

https://gitlab.com/ycom1/forward2browser

here I made a python app if someone finds it interesting, still, it is not
yet the final version.
It is tested with KDE. Further testing and improvements are to come.
What it does; if you click a link in any of your desktop apps, like Thunderbird
or Telegram, this app, which is assigned as the standard browser, takes over
and passes the link to the browser of choice. This is convenient for me
as I use different browsers for different tasks.

2 Likes

Why would you use tkinter? You cannot create beautiful GUI apps with tkinter. look into pyqt or pygtk

you are right, this was just for starting up with python GUI coding.
I will handle pyQT as next, which is arguably better.
Thanks for the hint anyway : - )

I want to comment on the licenses here. Strong copyleft licenses like GPL for a library can “infect” (not in a malicious way) your application to legally require your application to use a particular license.

PyQt as a library will force your application to use the GPL license (since it uses GPL too and that has a strong copyleft) wherease PySide2 (now the official method of using Python with Qt) allows you to choose your own application’s license because the library is distributed under the LGPL license (when dynamically linked). I would not bother if a final application is GPL or LGPL, but I believe individual libraries should not have such influence over an application’s license (like how GPL libraries force you to use the GPL license even if you did not use actual code from within their project).

If you pay for their proprietary license, however, you can use either of them and even modify their libraries, yet you would be able to choose any license for your application.

In short,
• If you use several libraries and even if one library among them is licensed with GPL, every other library that you use must be GPL or GPL compatible. Also your own application is forced to have the GPL license.
• If you use a library licensed under LGPL, you can choose your own license unless you modify the library or use their source code in your codebase. Dynamic linking allows you to use LGPL libraries without including them in your application.

2 Likes

thank you so much that you brought that up, so I understand I go better with pySide2 , right ?

@ycom1

Turns out they have pyside6 now: Python UI | Design GUI with Python | Python Bindings for Qt

1 Like

coooool thanks, I have a look at it, Tkinter was not that bad, but pyside6 would be more sophisticated I guess, especially things like creating buttons with for loops with changing assignments, which was possible with Tkinter too, but poorly documented, so I had a kind of a hard time figuring it all out