BTRFS installation

Hello,

I am trying to install Reborn OS in the following configuration
/boot/efi
/ - BTRFS on Luks2
systemd-boot

No swap, and no boot volume since I want it to be on BTRFS along with the root. This configuration should work if installed manually in Arch.

However, the Reborn OS installer has disk configuration verification and /boot and swap are not satisfied. Therefore, I cannot proceed. Is there any way to bypass it and still proceed with installation?

Another question, does the installer support subvolumes and custom BTRFS options, such as compression and autodefrag?

1 Like

The current installer does not support installation on Btrfs subvolumes, but I wrote a guide on how to transition to subvolumes after installation: https://osdn.net/projects/rebornos/wiki/Btrfs system snapshots and rollbacks with Timeshift. Btrfs filesystem compression is enabled by default, but with lzo compression, the mount options are outdated, you can easily change it to zstd compression though after installation by editing /etc/fstab, which offers much better compression ratio with only slightly lower compression speed. Autodefrag is enabled by default on HDD to my knowledge.

Since /boot mount point was required during installation, you must have booted the ISO in Legacy BIOS mode, you have to boot the ISO in UEFI mode to be able to install in UEFI mode. Swap partition is not required for installation.

I know little about installation on LUKS, but I do know that GRUB currently does not properly support LUKS2 without modification, making using a boot partition the easiest option. However, with systemd-boot the situation might very well be different.

1 Like

Just downloaded RebornOS to install and test and found this thread after registering on the forums. I want to install on BTRFS, but according to the second post I won’t be able to. I tried the link for switching to BTRFS after install but the link does not work. I click it and it does nothing. Can someone please check it? Thanks

Side not I don’t want to install with a swap partition or file cause I really don’t have a need for either. Currently running ArcoLinuxB KDE with out either and was running both it and Manjaro without a swap partition or swap file in either OS. I’d like to make sure I’m not going to have any issues with custom partitioning for Reborn.

Hi @Locutus ! Welcome to the Forum :blush:

I am sorry that the link did not work. Here is another URL that I just tested to lead to that page: https://osdn.net/projects/rebornos/wiki/Btrfs%20system%20snapshots%20and%20rollbacks%20with%20Timeshift

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, but after looking at that I’ll wait till you guys have a ISO I can install the OS on BTRFS right out of the gate.

Maybe I should ask about a good thread on your backup program before deciding if I’ll wait to install. Thanks

@Locutus We’re constructing our new installer based on Calamares with BTRFS support. If you are on Discord, we are available at RebornOS for any information :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks added to my Discord.

1 Like

Hey I decided to try and install Reborn and both in Ventoy and a flahdrive that I used Etcher to add Reborn to I get a white screen with a cursor and nothing else. I’m thinking it’s the installer cause my other ISO’s don’t do this, they behave as they should. I’m thinking once you have a ISO with Calamares the issue will go away. I’m wondering if you have a rough idea when the next version of Reborn will be dropped? Thanks

@Locutus

Did the white screen show while booting into the live ISO or after installing?

You should not select the Nvidia option while booting into the current ISO as it does not work correctly.

While booting into the live ISO. So I am better off waiting for the new ISO because of nVidia then?

@Locutus Actually booting the ISO in Nvidia mode is not required because the installer does not depend on it.

It only matters if you are testing out demanding graphical applications, like games, within the ISO. For almost any other case, the open source Noveau driver will work fine!

1 Like

OK got into the live ISO and looks good. I would like to make one suggestion and that is to replace BleachBit with Stacer. Regardless of OS it’s way too easy for endusers to mess up their systems with BleachBit. Stacer you’re not likely to mess up your system and it has several other utilities besides it’s cleaner.

1 Like