No audio - pulsemixer Dummy Output after kernel update 6.1.12-1-lts: Module snd_hda_intel_codec not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.12-1-lts

Hello Ladies & Gents:

My first time in this Forum, so first of all greetings to everybody.

Once again I’m facing the same old painful story - but this time I can’t fix it by myself. And yesss, I’ve carefully already read all the previous related posts.

The header says it all: just no audio after kernel update6.1.12-1-lts, and pulsemixer shows “Dummy Output”.

$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel_codec
gives:

modprobe: FATAL: Module snd_hda_intel_codec not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.12-1-lts

and
cat /proc/asound/modules gives

0 snd_hda_intel

Got my

• $ inxi -Aa and $ inxi -Fxxxza --no-host : https://pastebin.com/a61eerqu
  • $ pactl list sinks: pactl - Pastebin.com
  • my since-the-epoch-installed pacman -Qs pipewire and pacman -Qs pulseaudio is available on demand together with more logs: can’t post more then 2 links by now - sorry.

My secondary 6.1.12.arch1-1 kernel gives the same problem.

Tried to patchGRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub , followed by sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

…No good.

Ok, I’m ready to re-install the whole system from scratch - nevertheless I’d be at least curious to imagine what can have gone sour: BTW on my other sooooo much older PC, zero problems.

I’ve temporarily patched the problem by installing another pre-6.1* kernel.

Search:

$ sudo pacman -Ss linux | grep '/linux-' | grep -v '6.1' | grep -v firmware | grep -v docs

extra/linux-atm 2.5.2-8
extra/linux-rt 6.0.5.14.realtime1-4
extra/linux-rt-headers 6.0.5.14.realtime1-4
extra/linux-rt-lts 5.15.92.57.realtime1-1
extra/linux-rt-lts-headers 5.15.92.57.realtime1-1

Chosen:

$ sudo pacman -S linux-rt-lts linux-rt-lts-headers

With current kernel:

$ uname -r

5.15.92.57.realtime1-1-rt-lts

audio works, but I’d like to have kernel 6.1.12*-lts working

Thanks in advance, Piero

It is not your fault. Kernel updates sometimes break support for various hardware. If the LTS kernel results in no problems, my first guess would be a bug in the latest kernel that is waiting to be identified and fixed. Your older computer may have different hardware which may not be affected.

Are you using Pipewire or pulseaudio?

Also, can you check if the audio works on the live RebornOS ISO?

Sorry, I did not pay enough attention. Did you try reinstalling the kernel and headers, running sudo mkinitcpio -P after that, and rebooting?

Edit: mkinitcpio already runs after a kernel update. Haha. Redundant :sweat_smile:

First of all, thanks.

1. Yes: I well know the 2nd PC is so different. And at least 10 years older;

2. Pipewire: pulse-pipes - Pastebin.com
    And
    pactl-sinks-no_sound - Pastebin.com

3. Going to try the live iso as soon as I can keep off-line my baby.

Will keep you informed, if I don’t bother you.

Peace, Piero