Linux Application Showcase

Share your favorite Linux Applications here :slightly_smiling_face:, tell us why you like it and compare it to other similar applications.

Inkscape is my pick for almost all image editing needs. It excels in editing vector graphics (the kind of pictures made up of points, lines, curves instead of pixels). It is free and open source! You can use it to draw simple to complex drawings. You can make logos, sketches, cover art, backgrounds and more. You can even use it to prepare diagrams for your homework or research paper. I find it mature and full-featured.

If you’re editing the more traditional raster graphics(pixel based, like photos, or also vector graphics exported as raster graphics), Krita seems to be a better choice. I prefer that (as opposed to GIMP) because the interface is more refined. Krita may even serve as an alternative for Adobe Photoshop.

1 Like

To complement, Fontbase is a outstanding Font Manager. Is multiplataform and are available in AUR (I tried to install but didn’t create the entry on Gnome menu) and Appimage (works flawlessly). The only issue on Linux version is to deactivate the fonts before exiting, or the fonts will be active (and appear inactive) and can’t be deactivated - the solution is to delete the hidden folders) and re-add local fonts

1 Like

The AUR fontbase package fails, because it is badly made. Anyway, if I correct it, it gives an error, due to the version of electron used by Arch Linux. In this case it is better to use the Appimage, since it has all the dependencies included.

Greetings!

2 Likes

The strange thing is that in Manjaro the AUR package works fine. But OK, I’ll use the Appimage, also function without any issues…

Manjaro muchas veces utiliza versiones antiguas de algunos de los paquetes base. Su actualización no es siempre en línea con Arch Linux (tardan bastante en estar a la par, si alguna vez lo están).

1 Like

I was wondering how nicely done KDevelop is :slight_smile: … actually I prefer KDevelop before I would take VsCode, because it is more classic and not so fancy overbloated I would say : - )

1 Like

TeXStudio is great for writing technical documents with formulas, matrices, mathematical symbols, and a lot of typesetting and formatting. You need to be familiar with LaTeX to use it though

I’ve been using VSCodium and testing out how it is different from Code OSS.

1 Like