Kernel question

After install of RebornOS my system boots to some kernel that isn’t displayed on my screen (blank screen)

If I choose to boot from the LTS kernel it displays just fine.

Is this normal behavior?

Do you have an NVIDIA video card? Can you give a little more information?

No video card at all. Just on-board graphics:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics × 4
Graphics: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso

The 5.10 kernel has had some drawbacks. Maybe we have to wait for a new update of it, and continue while you enter with the LTS. Searching a bit, I have not yet found a report of an error similar to the one you have. I’ll keep looking. I’m sorry I wasn’t very helpful.

You are kind, and I appreciate it.

I have recently played with Manjaro and Endeavor. Neither had any display issues. (I think they used 5.10, but I could be wrong)

I wish I could help you more. If it worked for you in EndeavorOS with this same kernel, it should work here too.

Has the RebornOS installation recognized the installed kernels correctly?

You could try running the following from the terminal:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reboot, and see what happens.

Interestingly, I booted off the live USB and it displays just fine. The Live one has 5.10.11-arch1-1

I also just upgraded to the latest kernel (5.10.13.arch1-1) and that one displays nothing to my screen as well.

So:
5.4.94-1-lts (good)
5.10.11-arch1-1 (good on liveUSB)
5.10.12.arch1-1 (bad)
5.10.13.arch1-1 (bad)

The following video drivers are installed in the RebornOS installer:

xf86-video-amdgpu → is the open source graphics driver for AMD Radeon graphics cards from the Graphics Core Next family. See info in: AMDGPU - ArchWiki

xf86-video-ati → supports the majority of AMD (previously ATI) GPUs. See info in: ATI - ArchWiki

Maybe some of this can help you.

1 Like