How can I fix this

Something is wrong. I can’t start pamac or yay. I get this message: pamac : error while loading shared libraries : libalpm.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What,s wrong? How can I solve this?
Longskott

Moin,

its a pacman issue that not fixed yet and no workaround available
greets

Hi @longskott1 :slight_smile: ! Welcome to the forum.

You can choose to downgrade pacman to make it work with pamac. To check the available versions in your cache, use ls -ltr /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ | grep pacman. After that, you can install one of the older versions like sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/<old-pacman-package-name> where <old-pacman-package-name> is the package you chose from the previous command.

@Rafael has already compiled a newer version of yay, so update your system with sudo pacman -S yay or sudo pacman -Syu yay to fix yay.

If you want to use the latest version of pacman instead, you can still use it on the command line until the developers of pamac catch up with the updated release.

Thanks for being a part of the RebornOS community. Please don’t hesitate to contact on any of the platforms (Discord, Forums, Facebook, or Twitter) if you need help with anything.

Have a nice day!

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about pacman. My problem is pamac.

@longskott1 pamac depends on pacman. The reason pamac is not working currently is because pacman got updated to version 6, but the pamac developers are yet to fix the application for the changes in the library.

What this means is that you can fix pamac by downgrading pacman if you choose to do so. The instructions are in my previous post :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

How do I downgrade pacman in terminal because I can only use pacman in terminal?

You can do so on the terminal using the commands I have typed out in this reply earlier:

This method uses pacman only, without any AUR helper like yay.

@longskott1 Let me know how the downgrade commands go. I am happy to help you with the process :slightly_smiling_face:. We’re also available on live chat on Discord.

How do I downgrade pacman in a terminal???

@longskott1
You can use pacman itself to downgrade pacman from the terminal. Here are the commands from my first reply:

ls -ltr /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ | grep pacman

After that, you can install one of the older versions like

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/<old-pacman-package-name> 

where <old-pacman-package-name> is the package you chose from the previous command.

The above is the downgrade process.

If you prefer to use the downgrade tool, you can also run the below:

sudo downgrade pacman

Either of the above methods should work.

Edit: Sorry for the earlier formatting problems. I’m typing on phone

@longskott1

My last reply has commands that you can run on the terminal to downgrade pacman (which will fix pamac). And yes, you can use pacman to install an older version of pacman and to downgrade itself. I have also posted the command to use if you prefer the downgrade tool instead. Either should work.

Update: There is an announcement with clearer instructions here: Pamac (graphical package management tool) and yay stopped working. [Workaround / Fix]

Please let me know if anything is not clear :slightly_smiling_face: