Help with canon TS9120 printer

Hello there rebornOS community, I am having an issue that I hope to get resolved.
As the title states I have a canon TS9120 printer that I am having trouble getting to work on rebornOS.
Now I already know how to use the printer installer and even installed the drivers for my printer via AUR but my issue persists.
Now I have no cable for this printer as until today the printer connected automatically via wireless on other linux flavors like Ubuntu and Fedora, even debian pure detects it.
I have no idea why its not working, my wireless detection is fine and the printer works on Windows.
Its not out of ink or paper, it simply doesnt get detected by the printer installer despite my best efforts.
I even tried the cups web interface but alas thats a bust too.

Hi @MadmanRB,

Which drivers did you install for your printer? Although Arch Linux does not seem to have a directly pre-packaged driver listed for TS9120, looking at the PKGBUILD for TS9020 hints that installing cnijfilter2 and scangearmp2 can do the trick.

Run the below on a terminal:

yay -S cnijfilter2 scangearmp2 --answerclean None --answerdiff None --answeredit None  

In the above, if yay asks for providers, you can choose 1 for both…

Let me know how this goes

Yeah the packages you refer to I already installed.
It’s just bizarre, this works right off the bat on most other linux flavors.
I am looking up reddit posts on the matter, but I don’t know if that will lead anywhere.
And its not like I didn’t read the arch wiki to see if this was an issue.
I will keep on looking around but if I can’t find a viable solution I unfortunately cannot use this distro. I use this printer far too much for it not to work, and I don’t have time to keep digging around for solutions.
If I don’t find a good, viable solution by Monday, I sadly have to call this off as I work from home and need this thing working.
It’s fortunate I have the weekend to work it out, but no more.
I will play around, see if I can get this working, trying the various canon related packages on AUR.
Still by monday if I can’t fix it, back to Ubuntu land I go.
When your work depends on this sort of thing sometimes you need to make tough calls.

@MadmanRB Do you still have any of your devices where the printer works? (Ubuntu or Fedora)

Yes I have a laptop that runs linux mint, works fine on there.
I also dualboot Windows 11 on this machine, the printer works there too.

Awesome. If you can boot the device and check the versions of scangearmp2 and cnijfilter2 installed (drop the 2 in the name if you don’t find them), it would be great!

It should also be possible for us to directly download the .deb file provided by the Canon website and extract in Arch Linux. I will try helping with that soon if you want to try it

It seems like the Canon website offers older versions of cnijfilter and scangearmp for your printer. That might be what you need. Let me download and check the packages they offer

Yeah, the one on the canon website is older, so I may try extracting the .debs and see what happens.
I mean its a bit annoying LOL as I have not had to use those debs in a while.
Again, usually most other flavors pick it up without issue.

Okay just extracted the .debs, this may take a bit as I have to sort through where things are going to go.
Luckily, this isn’t my first rodeo with Linux and something arch based, so I know what I am doing for the most part.
I will also reboot my machine just in case and see if anything happens with this method.
I mean this is certainly not a signal issue, got that covered as my desktop is only a few feet away from the printer as is the router.
Its not like the printer or the router are off somewhere tucked away, I always have both nearby just in case I need to do maintenance.

It is certainly possible to port the deb to Arch Linux if there are no Debian/Ubuntu specific quirks. Let me know how it goes.

Sure.
I mean, it’s possible that is the issue, but I won’t know that until I move the files over.
I got most of that done by now and will be rebooting my machine here in a second to see if that helped.

AAAAAAAAAND… nope, nadda, zip, zero, zilch. Curses.
But don’t worry, yet I still got some more driver packages to try on the aur.
Fingers crossed one of them works.
Your solution was worth a shot, though.

How did you try to do it? What did you do after extraction?

Well, I tried to copy the files over to their respective directories using nemo as root (as I am using the cinnamon desktop)
I even made sure they had the right permissions and all that.
I mean I could do it by terminal too, I just figured nemo has the option to open in root (sudo) mode and do it that way first.

There seems to be an install script in the archive. Perhaps try running that. Copying the files alone may not be enough.

Also, you may need to add the printer using the ppd files in the archive.

Yeah I got it, will do.
Though I hope this wont be an issue in the future especially if I need ppd’s as that’s going to be depricated here soon.
I don’t know what the hell the cups developers are thinking about getting rid of drivers and ppd support, TBH.
I mean printer support in linux is shaky at best as it is.
Sure I could just buy a HP printer but I have had my fair share of issues with their printers.
Epson dropped linux support long ago, cannon works but only just so and brother… nope.
The printer industry is such a dumpster fire right now.
I only got a cannon as I had too many HP printers die on me with no reason and they at least provide drivers on their website unlike brother or epson.

It is fine, I guess. If you discover that the deb install script works, one may be able to write a PKGBUILD for it to be added to our repos

Well I tried the installation script and again… sigh
I still have a few tricks up my sleeve, but it will have to wait til tomorrow.
Honestly this is the first time since I got this printer that I had any issue with it under linux.
When I got it I had to install the official cannon drivers and had no other option until cups started working with it out of the box.

I had a similar issue with a Canon Pixma IP2850, and downloaded this "cnijfilter-source-4.10-1.tar.gz" i extract it and in the readme file i found this rpmbuild -tb cnijfilter-source-X.XX-Y.tar.gz --define="MODEL [Printer Model Name]" --define="MODEL_NUM [Printer Model ID]" --with build_common_package and i replaced rpmbuild with alpmbuild. I hope I helped.

1 Like

Thanks @ste

@MadmanRB can try the same for their printer:

1 Like