Broadcom Wifi Not detected by Live ISO on Dell M4500

Hi - I tried booting the live environment on my DellM4500, but my broadcom DW1520 Half-mini card is not dcetected at all. I searchd the forum and found a similar problem with boadcom card,( HP Z400 Workstation lost network device after update) - and tried the fix in the live environment, but it didn’t seem to work. PS Manjaro does see network, but is unreliable, some other non-Arch distros see it and it works fine, but I was hoping to be able to run something like RebornOS.
I’ve had some guidance as to how to detect the exact model of my card from the terminal (incase it varies from what Win7 device manager tells me) - and then hopefully some steps for installing a driver.
Many thanks in advance.
Meanwhile I will give a couple of 2nd choice ISO’s a spin…

Hi @justcosmic1, Can you download the packages broadcom-wl-dkms and linux-headers? You can install them on the target OS instance (whether live or not) by using

sudo pacman -U *.zst

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for the response - I presume I’ll need to get a wired connection to do that ?
Or can I DL them on Windows and then just pick up the packages from my local hard drive?

Use a Phone on USB Tethering mode, in case you don’t have ethernet available

If you already have a wired connection, all you need is a LAN cable to directly install using

sudo pacman -S linux-headers broadcom-wl-dkms

You can download the package on another device and copy it to the live ISO where you can use the earlier pacman -U command to install them.

As @Rodrigo_Chile said, USB tethering is also an option to get an internet connection. Then you can use the above pacman -S commands directly

1 Like

Thanks - I’m going to try USB tethering and I’ll let you know how I get on

OK so tethering worked but the suggested command didn’t - here’s the result:
"[rebornos@archiso ~]$ sudo pacman -S linux-headers broadcom-wl-dkms
warning: database file for ‘Reborn-OS’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘core’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘extra’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘community’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
warning: database file for ‘multilib’ does not exist (use ‘-Sy’ to download)
error: target not found: linux-headers
error: target not found: broadcom-wl-dkms

PS I also noticed some other errors when booting the live environment - but it was too fast and too small to properly see. So I wonder if there’s an issue there.
Maybe I will try dl the live ISO again?

Then I tried this:
rebornos@archiso ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases…
Reborn-OS 284.5 KiB 1778 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
core 623.1 KiB 5.34 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
extra 623.1 KiB 6.99 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
community 623.1 KiB 9.08 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
multilib 623.1 KiB 5.07 MiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
[rebornos@archiso ~]$ 0.0 B 0.00 B/s 00:00 [----------------------] 0%
[rebornos@archiso ~]$ sudo pacman -S linux-headers broadcom-wl-dkms
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/community.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/multilib.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: target not found: linux-headers
error: target not found: broadcom-wl-dkms

As you can see still no joy - maybe my ISO is messed up ?
I double-checked the HASH and it’s fine - but maybe Rufus on Windows didn’t write it correctly. I may have to install another Linux distro just to write the USB :smiley:

Oof. Can you try running

sudo refresh-mirrors-rebornos.sh

with the internet on?

OK- I’ll give that a try - (once my computer has finished resizing paritions!) - thanks again :slight_smile:

More info on the wireless card it’s a Broadcom BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)

OK - So I ran the refresh-mirrors and also had to sync the database again and then it ALMOST worked…but right at the end I got this message:
“==> Unable to install module broadcom-wl/6.30.223.271 for kernel 5.15.2-arch1-1: Missing kernel modules tree.
(4/4) Refreshing PackageKit…”
I have the full terminal session saved as a text file in case of need.

Did you install the kernel headers?

sudo pacman -S linux-headers

Yes - I ran this command:
sudo pacman -S linux-headers broadcom-wl-dkms

FYI I am trying Garuda meanwhile so there’s no pressure.
But I will keep this tab open and keep following any developments with RebornOS.
I like the idea of being able to install different desktops and components (Deepin File Manager for example) - but I also like the ease of installing Pipewire in Garuda and multimedia optimisations as I do some audio. Both have a lot of GUI tools, which I really like.
Anyway - I am very impressed with the support here - and very much appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure. Let me know if you have any pending issues :slightly_smiling_face:.

Also, Discord is the fastest way to reach the team as everyone is available on there.