Microsoft Edge overtakes Mozilla Firefox on desktop

Original note from: MuyComputer
To read the original in Spanish by David Salces, click here

These are good times for Microsoft Edge, Microsoft’s web browser. And is that since the Redmond decided to leave their own engine behind and adopted Chromium, they have managed to reverse a trend that came from far away, since the early days of Internet Explorer. Although it seemed difficult, it is not only managing to get rid of a good part of the bad image that it dragged from previous times, it is also managing to grow in the share of users, who have decided to give Microsoft Edge Chromium a chance.

The last and very significant sample of this is found in the StatCounter data for the month of March, and that shows us a milestone that will have been received with great joy at Microsoft and with no less disappointment at Mozilla, since Microsoft Edge has advanced to Mozilla Firefox and ranks as the third most used browser on the desktop, thus earning a bronze medal, which shows an upward trend.

The difference is not very marked, we speak of an 8.04% market share for Microsoft Edge compared to 7.97% for Mozilla Firefox, so it is still early to give this advance as something consolidated. However, if we take into account that during the month of March 1.7% of users were still registered using Internet Explorer / Edge Legacy, and that in these days the technical support for it ends, it is expected that these users, sooner or later, they end up making the leap to Edge Chromium, thus improving their numbers. And it is that this aggregate would give us a total of 9.74%, which is a more significant difference.

Gold and silver are for Google Chrome and Apple Safari, with a strong 67.09% and 10.13% respectively. Little to say about Chrome, whose position remains indisputable to this day, Safari, for its part, has been above 10% for a few months, so it remains above the aggregate of Microsoft Edge and previous versions of Microsoft’s browser. .

It will be interesting, at this point, to see what happens within six months, because the effort made by Microsoft to bring its browser to all platforms and to trump it with a thousand functions seems to be having an effect and, at least personally, I can say that All the feedback I am receiving regarding Microsoft Edge is very positive and, although the sample size is obviously too small to be statistically valid, it does make me expect some growth and even that I can dispute the second position. to Safari. Maybe not in six months, but in a year, but in the end Edge has much more room for growth than Apple’s browser.

Further away is, of course, Google Chrome. Its position continues to be absolute dominance, to this day no browser seems to be in a position, in the short and medium term, to dispute the first position. And it is understandable, but surely the arrival of new browsers to Chromium, and now especially Microsoft Edge, will be a stimulus for Google not to rest on its laurels, and for the rest to make an effort to try to get closer, even if it is little little by little, to that first position.

And it will also be interesting, of course, to see what steps Mozilla takes to try to recover the bronze and dispute the silver to Safari. Perhaps the key, or one of them, would be to fight its position in Linux, where it has historical recognition by users, but which seems to be somewhat neglected in some aspects. Otherwise, if Microsoft Edge consolidates its third position, I fear a difficult future awaits.